Scarecrow Votive Candle Holder
- Glass pint jar
- Clear glass votive with rim 2 1/2" diameter, that will rest on rim
- Votive candle
- Straw hat with open crown, 6" across
- Acrylic paints: antique white, burnt orange, titanium white, black
- Round paintbrush
- Clear matte spray sealer
- Natural raffia
- Earth-tone homespun plaid fabric, 1/8" yard
- Silk leaves, yellow and orange, one of each
- Small naturals (acorns and pine cones)
- Transfer paper
- Black fine-line permanent marker
- Paper Plate
- Paper Towels
- Glue gun
- Container with water
- Household Sponge Scrap
Remove label; wash and dry jar. Following manufacturer’s
instructions, spray outside of jar with several light coats of matte
sealer, letting sealer dry between coats. (Note: spraying with sealer
"roughens" surface, allowing paint to adhere more easily.)
- Sponge paint outside of jar with two coats of antique white; let
- Except for cheeks and dashed line down center of face, transfer
face pattern onto side of jar so that bottom of mouth is approximately
1 1/4" from bottom of jar.
- Use burnt orange and a pouncing motion to dry brush cheeks; paint
nose and mouth triangles. Paint eyes black.
- Use toothpick to paint burnt orange dots for freckles; paint two
white highlight dots in each eye, making top dot larger than bottom
dot. To make top dots into stars, use toothpick to pull out dot in
different directions while paint is still wet.
- Use black marker to draw the following: mouth, triangle outlines,
stitch line down center of face.
- For hair, cut raffia into 4 1/2" lengths. Glue several layers of
raffia around outside rim of jar; let dry. For bangs, trim raffia
above eyes. Spread a thin layer of glue around inside edge of hat.
Glue hat to top of jar over raffia.
- For hatband, tear a 1" x 18" strip from fabric. Tie fabric strip
into a shoestring bow around hat so bow is at left side. Glue leaves,
acorns, and pine cones over bow. Insert votive holder with candle into
top of scarecrow.
|If you like Crafts, you may like these
autumn crafts >